The Snow Day Box
This month, we will be learning to sew a pair of fun mug rugs and an upcycled pocket pillow made from old jeans!
The goodies included in your box are some new hand-sewing needles and a beeswax thread conditioner. This beeswax will help keep the thread from tangling/knotting while hand-sewing.
Don't forget to share your sewing journey with us by using #sewwhatbox on Facebook and Instagram!
In this first video:
- Learn some AWESOME tips to make hand-sewing easier, faster, and less miserable.
- Also, get the down-low on how to use beeswax thread conditioner at time-mark 6:00 minutes.
- If you are having problems with your sewing machine "eating" the fabric (down into the bobbin area), you will definitely want to check out the tips in the first part of this video.
The Pre-Cut Kit:
Are you SEW ready for this? The pre-cut kit in this shipment is for a pair of mug-rugs. These are supposed to be used as fancy coasters for your favorite mug of hot cocoa, tea, coffee, etc.
Below is the instructional video for this project. Also, if you would like to use some of your fabric stash to create more of these beauties, you can download the pattern by clicking HERE.
This project was designed for use with 1/2 inch seam allowances.
Remember: If you choose to sew over pins, go slowly!
If you prefer written instructions, please enjoy the following steps for the mug rug project:
- Sew all 4 edges of the 2 square pieces together, right sides together.
- Cut this sewn square on both diagonals, from corner to corner, ending up with 4 triangle pieces.
- Iron these pieces open, creating 4 square pieces.
- Lay these pieces out, right sides up, to create a pinwheel pattern.
- Close two of these pieces together like a book (placing them right sides together and sewing along the edge that was touching when the pinwheel pattern was laid out).
- Repeat the previous step with the other 2 small squares.
- Iron these pieces flat. Lay out your pinwheel again and sew along the center edge (right sides together).
- Iron this completed pinwheel square flat.
- Sew the skinny piece onto one edge of the pinwheel. Iron flat.
- Pin the completed front on top of the Insul-Bright batting, lining up the edges.
- Optional: quilt along the seams in the front piece.
- Pin the back piece to the front/batting combination, right sides together. Sew all the way around, leaving a hole for turning.
- Turn right side out. Topstitch around the edge to close the hole and give the project a finished look.
Upcycle Project Video:
Are you SEW ready to have something to do with all of those worn-out jeans? Follow along on this quick tutorial and learn how to create an amazing upcycled pillow (with a pocket!)
What is the seam allowance for the Mug Rug project? I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere.
Hi Christine! All written instructions, videos, and the downloadable pattern are available on this page. If you would like to print the written instructions, you can copy and paste them into a Word Document. I hope this helps!
I received my 1st SewWhat box. It is a present from my daughter. I am trying to find instructions and patterns. They are not included? I see that you are behind on video but how do I find written instructions? It is the snow day box. I tried to search but this is the only page with info. Hope you are well. Don’t mean to bother. But I am new to your web site. Thank you. Christine